What is SEO?
SEO is the process of deploying various strategies in order to increase visibility in search engines. The most important factors for organic Search Engine Optimization (SEO) are keywords and on-page optimization.
What SEO means
On-page SEO best practices
- Optimized page titles that are 65-70 characters long
- Meta descriptions should be 300 characters of copy that feature your keyword and a call-to-action
- Headers H1 (the page title). Don’t add another H1 tags within the body of the content. It doesn’t matter if you have two H2 tags on the page or none at all. You will not penalized by Google.
- Write content for humans, not for machines.
- Image file names should also be human-readable.
- Include one or two external high-ranking links.
- Include one or two internal links.
- Don’t put an external or internal link on the keyword you want to rank for, use an alternative long-tail keyword instead.
- Product descriptions for an e-commerce website should be a minimum of 160 characters.
- Images shouldn’t be too large. They should be high-quality.
Off-page SEO best practices
- Link building
- Social media marketing
- Guest blogging
Organic traffic is traffic that comes to your website from visitors who have typed relevant search terms, known as keywords, into a search engine like Google or Bing, as opposed to typing the website address directly into their browser. This is the method most people use to discover a website unless it is a global brand like Coca Cola.
Half of the traffic that comes to a website is through organic searches, about 10% is from paid search. This does not mean that you should ignore paid advertising altogether, but you should employ both disciplines to your business model.
Key SEO strategies
There are three strategies to consider: keywords, building authority and link-building. Google has more than 200 ranking factors. Here are the key ones: